Oct 5, 2022 |
What Is Baptism?
Baptism is an important step of obedience that shows others we have personally trusted Jesus for our salvation. Jesus was baptized when He was on the earth, and we do this to follow His example. When Christians are baptized, they are submerged under water to identify with the death and burial of Jesus and raised out of the water to identify with His resurrection. We believe that water baptism is a public declaration of three important things: you are a follower of Jesus Christ, you are beginning a changed life in Christ, and you are part of a new family. Here are a couple of things that will make your baptism go smoothly. To sign up for our next baptism fill out the form below.
Our next opportunity to be water baptized is June 25, 2023. We usually schedule baptisms once a quarter. Please complete the form below to register to be baptized and we will be in touch with more information when we have a future scheduled date.
What do I need To Bring?
Our team is prepared with just about everything you need to be baptized including a Baptism t-shirt you get to keep. But there are a few of items you should have with you on that day. First, you should wear (or bring) a bathing suit or pair of shorts for the baptism. You will also need some flip flops or shower shoes to wear before and after the baptism. You will also need to bring a change of clothes since the items you wear for the baptism will be wet. Baptismal candidates should arrive at the church no less than 45 minutes prior to the service. Once you arrive we will instruct you about what to do and where to go to change.
Invite Family & Friends
Finally water baptism is a time of celebration and public declaration of new life in Christ. We encourage you to invite your friends and family to your water baptism service so you can celebrate together.
- WHY BE BAPTIZED?
Those who are baptized are following Jesus’ example of obedience.
- “Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. 14 John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented. 16 And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; 17 and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” – Matthew 3:13 – 17
- “Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.’” —Matthew 28:18–20
2. WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF BAPTISM?
Water baptism is a public declaration of three very important things:
- You are a follower of Jesus Christ.
“Those who accepted his message were baptized.” —Acts 2:41
- You are beginning a changed life in Christ.
“We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” —Romans 6:4
- You are part of a new family.
“For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.” – 1 Corinthians 12:12 – 13
- I HAVE ALREADY BEEN BAPTIZED. SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED AGAIN?
Your baptism should have signified you becoming a follower of Jesus, beginning a changed life, and uniting with a new family. If your baptism did not reflect this change of life, then you should be baptized with these things in mind.
- CAN MY CHILD BE BAPTIZED?
We will baptize anyone age 10 and older who understands what baptism symbolizes and wants to make that personal public declaration. We encourage any parents to partner with Cornerstone Kids and Cornerstone Youth to guide your children through these decisions of faith.
For more information to help guide your child through this important decision, check out our Children’s Baptism Guide PDF.
Our next opportunity to be water baptized is November 6, 2022. We usually schedule baptisms once a quarter. Please complete the form below to register to be baptized and we will be in touch with more information when we have a future scheduled date.